Time for a blog again, this time covering most of January’s happenings. In truth it has been difficult to get out for many decent sessions as the better tides have coincided with poor weather, or me being busy. I have managed a few sea sessions, and a couple on freshwater marks when the weather has been to bad for to hit the sea. 

As usual this time of year is spent looking for thornback rays and bull huss off the west coast of Anglesey. Windows of opportunity have been fairly small for me during January. My first session out there I was very optimistic; while the tide was a little bigger than I’d have hoped, the weather and sea state were practically perfect. After catching hordes of whiting, with a few kept as bait, the squid and sandeel wraps were prepared in anticipation of a ray or two. A reasonable bull huss appeared early on in the session but after that it went quiet with a few more whiting and dabs added to the mix. Bull huss number two came out a while later, but with long waits between bites I headed home.

The second session was during daylight and again in hindsight the tide was a little bigger than I’d have liked. True to form I had no action on the main rods, with all bites coming to my spinning rod, bouncing a 2 hook flapper along with a 1 ounce weight. Small codling were the major culprits but also pollack, poor cod, whiting and coalfish all showed. 

My third session there was just this week. Everything seemed perfect, dropping wind and swell on a favourable tide, water not too murky. My only concern was the sudden dip in air temperatures bringing the ice and snow across the country. I have a theory that the cold air temperatures, or the weather conditions associated with them put the rays off, either they aren’t feeding, or they move away from the area. As expected whiting were pecking everything, and after bull huss 1 spat the hook at the surface, I had my first thornback of the year, and it was a right specimen! Not long after I managed to get a bull huss up the rocks which made a decent end to the evening.

A couple of night time species sessions yielded an additional 5 beard rockling but generally speaking the fishing has been a little bit tough overall. After looking into more “sporting” alternatives than doggies and whiting for daylight winter sessions I have ventured back to freshwater. My first target was grayling, which I had at the second time of asking, and then to catch a pike on a lure which I also managed. While neither were massive they definitely fought harder on balanced gear than most fish in the sea would. 

The forecasts for the next week or so aren’t great, so it might be back on the freshwater again until things improve!    

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform

Write a Comment